The Accelerator for Tableau Server Performance Monitoring surfaces the speed at which Tableau dashboards are loading on your server. As Tableau scales across your organization, it can be difficult to keep track of whether analysts are publishing performant content. Content led with poor design choices will take prolonged periods to load, frustrating consumers trying to get to their analysis, and analysts who don’t understand why their dashboard is slow. The first step to resolving performance is to understand where load time KPIs stand today, and which specific dashboards need the most help. This Accelerator will help you do that and get the conversation to improve your overall dashboard performance started.
See below to find out how to connect to your own Tableau Server PostGreSQL Respository.
Answer Key Business Questions
- What is my server’s average dashboard load time (VizQL)?
- How does that differ by site, project or owner?
- What are the slowest dashboards on my server?
- How many dashboards have over ## views and take longer than ##s to load on average?
What does this not answer
- Why is my specific dashboard slow?
- How can I fix the speed on my dashboard?
Monitor and Improve KPIs
- Dashboard load times
Required Data Attributes
The following fields are found in the TS Web Requests table. Steps to access are in the next section.
Data Field | Explanation
- Created At (date) | When the dashboard request was made
- Site Name (string) | The name of the site where the item is located
- Project Id (whole) | The Id of the project where the item is located
- Project Name (string) | The name of the project where the item is located
- Item Id (whole) | The item identifier
- Item Name (string) | The name of the item
- Item Owner Friendly Name (string) | The name of the owner of the item
- Id (whole) | The unique identifier of each request
- Number of Requests (whole) | How many times users requested the item to load
- Duration (s) (decimal) | How long it took the item to load
- Activity Threshold (whole) | Sets the threshold on number of requests for an item that you’d like to see
- Performance Threshold (whole) | Sets the threshold on duration(s) for an item that you’d like to see
- Activity Threshold (T/F) | Dictates whether item is above Activity Threshold parameter
- Performance Threshold (T/F) | Dictates whether item is above Performance Threshold parameter
- Max Date (date) | High end of date range
- Min Date (date) | Low end of date range
Data Source Filters
- Action (string) = bootstrapSession
- Status Code Type (string) = success
- Item Type (string) = view
- Item Id (whole) = Not Null
Who can help you succeed today
- Reach out to your Tableau Administrator
Steps to setup the Accelerator with your Tableau Server Data
- Download TS Web Requests Data Source
- Visit Github (https://github.com/tableau/community-tableau-server-insights), right-click “ts_web_requests” for your version, “Save Link As” as .twb file.
- Publish TS Web Requests to your server
- Open ts_web_requests.twb
- Edit Data Source Connection to match your server name, URL, port, username, password.
- Publish Data Source as an Extract with a daily reload. In the Authentication section, switch setting to “Embedded Password.”
- Bring your data into the Accelerator
- Download Accelerator
- Add new data source, connect to your new “ts_web_requests” published data source from the “Tableau Server” connection
- Swap data sources: In the Data Tab (top left) right-click “TS Web Data Requests (Redacted),” then click Replace Data Source. Press OK.
- Replace References: In the Data Tab (middle left), right-click the dimension “Adj Created At (For Accelerator),” then click Replace References. Select “Created At” as its replacement.
- Fix Errors: If you see errors around “Id,” repeat previous step. Click the dimension “Id,” click Replace References, then select “Id” as its replacement. Repeat for any other fields with errors.
- Filter for Relevant Sites
- Some deployments have dozens of sites, which will squeeze the view. Select your relevant bundle of sites using the filter on the top right.
- Publish the Workbook to your Server for others to see.